Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Montserrat--our chilly, cloudy day on the side of a mountain

So we sucked up our disappointment when we learned we would be missing the winery tour and our short visit to the sunny shores of Sitges. Instead, we would be on a bus ride, literally up the side of a mountain....with switchback turns that would make even a hardy stomach think twice. I'd survived 10-20 foot waves during our long, windy, rainy sea day, when we missed our stop in Split. Never did I think that I'd wake up half way up the side of the mountain, from my much needed nap on the bus, with a wishy washy tummy. Thank goodness I'd been smart enough to pack my Ginger gum, which immediately put everything right. A large group departed the bus and took the funicular straight up the remainder of the mountain. I'm guessing if we had the paid extra, my stomach issue may have been entirely avoided. Actually, we were never offered the option during the discussion of our alternate tour choice.


Up so high, can't see the bottom..too foggy and cloudy and did I mention chilly...boy I wish we were in Sitges!

We were further frustrated to learn that the tour guide would be speaking in three different languages, Spanish being first each time. Talk about slowing down the group...ugh. Even though we had been on a ship for 12 days with passengers from dozens of nations around the world, we rarely heard any announcements repeated in any other languages. You may think, quit complaining Joanne and just make the best of it...well I will soon enough..and we both did soon thereafter. We followed the group, listened to her speaking, and speaking and speaking for 2 hours, then found a quiet spot to take pictures and grab a bite to eat. The view, or what we could see of it, was quite impressive. The heavy cloud cover, which we later found out was common during most of the year, was allowing us very limited visibility along most of the mountain tops. The folks that had willingly signed up for the tour, were also disappointed when they were advised that they didn't have adequate time to attend the 1pm performance of the children's choir, as we all needed to be back to meet the bus at 1:15. Sounds like poor planning on someone's part to me.


The amazing part of the day...the carved into the side of that mountain


Roger kept wondering how they got building materials all the way up there..I'm guessing the road was built before anything else


You can see the track for the funicular


As we walked under the very first portico which led to the entrance of the interior portions of the Basilica, I glanced up at this statue and decided to snap a quick pic for my Mom...the name almost appeared to say "Joseph" which is my maiden name. I then turned in the exact opposite direction when I noticed the only other statue in the portico...and then just laughed out loud when I saw the name inscribed below that one...."Joannes" oh brother...remember, I wasn't supposed to even be on top of this mountain...a "sign" you might think...not so much


Anyway...it's a man...I decided it was time to go find some food...no feeding of the soul here, only feeding of the tummy :)


No matter where we are...I always love to look up

No comments:

Post a Comment