Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Barcelona--"Fine Dining" at the airport--or how to use the last few euros in your pocket

By 6pm, we had been in the airport for an hour and our last meal was about 6 hours ago at approximately 12:30 in Montserrat. We had both carbed up with bread, some very tasty sausage and various beans with veggies. Now it was time for what would most probably be our last meal of the day. With the time change and the way things were running, (our flight was already delayed) our arrival at Heathrow and the long painful wait at immigration, we wouldn't be at the hotel until almost midnight. I doubt we would be in any mood for a meal, nor could we count on a place to be open and serving so late.

I was on a quest to find us something nutritious and perhaps a little bit on the healthy side. With only 4.75 euro in my hand, this could be quite the challenge.


Also, we'd gone into a very deserted terminal, so our choices of food service venues, were more than limited. As I set off on my quest, Roger's parting words were ringing in my ears..."don't bring back any chocolate.". Well that's no fun!!! I actually had a stash in my bag from a recent purchase in Montserrat (those monks were good at something that interested me) and I honestly had every intention of finding a decent "meal."


I'm thinking NOT

The only kiosk in our terminal had some sketchy looking prepackaged sandwiches, yuck...and bags of chips. Nope that would not do at all. Around one more corner and I found the usual dry goods travel shop that sells magazines, books and the prerequisite collection of candy. WOW...did they have some nice looking candy....step away from the sweet stuff Joanne!!!!


Did he say "no chocolate"??? Bummer :(


Are you absolutely sure he said no candy...boy this is tough for me...good thing I didn't have enough $$ for any of this stuff

Then, I happened to notice on one corner, there was a small take away shop selling salads, burgers, fries and chicken wraps....would I be forced to settle for the one place I avoid at all costs at home and whenever we are traveling?? I'd been through a last-resort choice for our tour today, and judging by the prices on the menu, it looked like I had no other option for our dinner. After 12 nights of 4 course gourmet meals, our final meal before leaving Barcelona would be from none other than McDonalds...yikes, a new low for me.


Not REALLY...no love here...only affordability I'm sorry to say


I'd been toting around a very nice crusty loaf of french grain bread from a bakery in Toulon, so we were able to indulge in our first course of bread and water before the salad was served


Don't forget to hydrate!


The entree for our dinner was to be a chicken and veggie wrap, which is sitting quite nicely in my stomach.


Ask me in an hour or two how I still feel....here's hoping my digestive system will be able to take one for the team.


Next up...Heathrow...can we handle it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment