Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tuesday September 21, 2010 Capri or not to Capri, that is the question?

Part 1

We pulled into Salerno right on schedule between 6 and 7 am. Rog ran up on deck to get a few pictures while I dressed. The sun had started to come up...it looked like we had a beautiful day ahead of us.



The big debate in my scheduling of this day trip......should we attempt to do it on-our-own, or take the ship's excursion. The possibility of missing the ship, weighed heavily on my mind. I asked the Captain at dinner last night how he felt about holding the ship for us if the return ferry had mechanical issues...he assured me he would wait (wink, wink). I tried to get that in writing, but his very valid excuse took into consideration that if we were late leaving Salerno, we'd miss the beautiful daytime sail-in to Venice. We opted to do it on our own...and it could not have been simpler. You have to understand that the people who had chosen to take the ship's excursion, were actually on the same ferry as us. Sometimes, the cruise line strongly "suggests" that you will be safer on their tour, than out on your own...we had heard otherwise and were pleasantly surprised with the results.


Plenty of room on the ferry for everyone.

The day went something like this--Up and awake early, room service breakfast seemed like the best idea for eating before getting off the ship. It was our intention was to be first off the ship, first to the shuttle, first to the ticket office, first on the ferry. The early ferry was really our only option for getting to Capri...we hoped everything would go accordingly...and it did. The weather was perfect, the water was calm....the ferry ride very pleasant and I used my time wisely, typing away on each leg of the hour long journey. Rog napped, and other than the ladies lined up to use the restroom invading his personal space (one must have thought she was leaning on the back of his chair, when she actually leaned her bottom against his sleeping shoulder--a big no-no for him), he survived the round trip ride on the ferry. We stopped along the way in Almalfi to pick up and drop off passengers. On the return trip, we would also stop at Positano, which allowed me to grab a few quick shots.


I should have posted a sign on him..."Please don't touch the sleeping man"


We were quite pleased with ourselves for getting past the first hurdle of the day...goodbye Century for the day....and off we went.





Quick stop in Amalfi...and off we go again.

We were on the island before 10am, hired one of the famous private open-air taxis for the day...and headed as quickly as possible away from the crowds. It was the best decision we could have made, and the remainder of the day was absolutely perfect. We took so many pictures, that I intend to break this post into several parts.


Our first stop of the day was Ana Capri, where we took the chair lift up to the top of Mount S.... The ride up was quiet and afforded incredible views of the town, Naples Bay and Mount Ves...in the distance. I was able to capture a few quick movies on the way up on the lift.


Rog insisted we carry water...my own Sherpa!

Once we arrived at the top, plenty of time for pictures, a stroll around and then back to town for some shopping. I had recently seen a 4 part video of Giada on the isle of Capri, and I wanted to find some of the shops she visited during her trip. There was a gentleman who crafted handmade sandals to custom fit your feet. Not only did I locate him, he made me a pair of sandals to match the beautiful handbag my son and daughter-in-law had presented me with for my birthday. What a special treat for me, who is a bit of a shoe nut, to see the master at work.

Two hours later, we were headed to Marina Piccolo for some photographs, followed by a shopping trip to Capri town. Again, I had a destination in mind, the Buonocore Patisserie. A quick taste of a warm mozzarella, salami & tomato wrapped in bread, while drooling over everything else in the case. I did pick up some cookies for later on...now off to find some gelato.

While my first love is food, my second love is jewelry...so a little window shopping was in order. What better place than the Rodeo Drive of Italy on the island of Capri. Everyone complains how expensive the stores are....it never costs a penny to look!

Back into our taxi to return to the port...another hour to relax along the waterfront, before the ferry returned us back across the bay to the ship.

Part 2--many pictures to follow....


No comments:

Post a Comment