Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Saturday...see ya later Split--or as I like to say "Be careful what you wish for"

Awake at my normal predawn hour of 5:30 to catch up on some writing as usual. For our morning in port, we had nothing specific planned for Split, Croatia and were not rushing first thing, to get off the ship. I decided to have breakfast in the Aqua Spa Cafe, it had dawned on me that I hadn't yet visited one of my favorite places on the ship to get a healthy meal. Oblivious as usual to what is going on beyond the stem and stern of the ship, I was shocked to feel the wind and rain hit my face as I walked across the deck on the way to the cafe. Clearly, I should had chosen a different inside route across the ship.


Aqua Spa Cafe--yogurt parfait--mueseli--saffron muffin

As pleased as I was to find some tasty healthy food in the Aqua Spa cafe, I can honestly say, the weather concerned me. A few moments later, the announcement was made that we would be skipping Split, the weather was just too rough. This was to be the only port on our cruise where we would not be pulling into a dock. Instead, the ship would anchor right outside the port, and we would be ferried to shore on small tender boats. When the weather is rough, there are many passenger safety issues....the ship's Captain together with the port authorities, made the decision to cancel our port day. Interestingly enough, this was the only day in our itinerary that we had not made any plans, nor had we made reservations for a tour. We were sad to miss the city of Split, however, the extra sea day was an added bonus for those of us worn out by the previous 2 days in Venice. You never know when you'll end up with an unexpected sea day.

I continued to enjoy my breakfast and noticed another Celebrity ship beside us and also turning away from the port. I had forgotten that we would be seeing Eclipse during our stop in Split. Well, that would be as close as we would to Eclipse until we left on our cruise in January.


The Eclipse battling the same rough seas outside of Split

The good news of the day-- we would be sailing directly to Dubrovnik with plans to dock at approximately 5pm. There was no telling what type of weather would greet us...we all certainly hoped the sun would greet us as we docked so we could get off the ship for an evening in port.


We could see the shoreline...but that is as close as we would ever get

As the day progressed, quite a few passengers seem to be affected by the rocking and rolling of the ship. It did not affect me.... Rog took a pill and slept in for a good portion of the morning, I found out later, that even some of the crew had motion sickness problems from the bad weather.


Rog finally crawls out of bed, only to find out we are going no where today

The cruise director announced there would be some extra activities added to the schedule for the day...I looked forward to the lecture on whales and dolphins at 1:00.


Shrimp and Avacado--my last healthy food of the day...all down hill from there

Back to the Aqua Spa Cafe for lunch, followed by the cinema in time to hear the speaker. It seems that after a meal, I have a tendency to morph into sleep mode when sitting in a comfy chair and listening to someone speak. No matter the subject, no matter how much I am interested in hearing the information...my eyes start to close, my head starts to sag to one side...and eventually (much to my chagrin) my mouth drops open. Roger thinks this is quite cute...he can tell that I am truly asleep when my lips start to part....believe me, not a pretty sight. I am sad to say that both lectures I attended on the ship, ended up being nap time for me...I am very disappointed in myself...how rude!!!!


Smart boy...a motion sickness pill and a nap

Quick solution for this sleepy girl...not the typical cup of coffee for a shot of caffeine, my poison of choice is chocolate. Up to the buffet to grab an afternoon snack, then back to the cabin to catch up on my writing.

The wind and rain continued--the high seas contributed to the sick feeling many passengers were experiencing. By cocktail hour, we noticed fewer people enjoying a drink before dinner. I suggested a nice tall glass of ginger ale and cranberry juice to settle the stomach of some friends. The heavy rain never really let up as the day turned into night. Some brave passengers opted to take the shuttle bus into town that night and got soaked.


The beginning of my descent into stomach discomfort...I am a glutton for punishment

Around 5pm, I found that I was really hungry...i'd had nothing to eat since 2, and we don't eat dinner until the 8:30 seating. I've fallen in love with the Tapas Bar in the buffet area...unfortunately, my eyes were once again bigger than my stomach.


Two hours later, silly me proceeded to eat a full dinner of escargot and roasted duck...I was in garlic overload! My stomach kept yelling all evening...."What the heck are you trying to do to me??? Enough already!!" It would be the first night I'd say no to dessert....perhaps I was finally coming go my senses. I vowed to eat lightly tomorrow and start the day with fruit and yogurt. We are scheduled for a 6 hour food and wine tour...this may be easier said than done.

Next up....Dubrovnik, and hopefully some blue skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment