Friday, September 24, 2010

Goodbye Capri--Hello Century




The view from Marina Picolla


Another one of the famous open-air taxis on Capri

Our day on Capri has come to an end. We were determined to travel to this small island for specific sentimental reasons. Two years ago our son, Brian and his long-time girlfriend, Taryn, traveled from Chicago to Capri for a wonderful vacation. He took advantage of the beautiful location, and proposed to her on the top of Mount Solaro. It was important to us to commemorate that special occasion in their lives, by traveling to the very same spot, on that very special island. They were married a year ago, and are currently celebrating their first anniversary.


Our last look around Capri before we head back to Marina Grande and begin our wait beside the dock for the ferry to arrive. Unbeknownst to me, I had a bit of a camera issue during our last few minutes on the island. I would come to find out that the kindness of strangers crosses all language barriers. After a long day of touring, passengers begin to stroll along the quay in search of the location where the ferries dock. We found a bench in the shade and watched as folks scurried by to catch each ferry as it pulled into the slips in the terminal. We have a 1/2 hour before ours arrived, so I proceeded to pull out my Ipad and began to upload my pictures from the day. I was hoping to get a head start on this entry, knowing that I'd be typing as we rode back on the ferry. A nice couple from South America noticed my IPad, and we began a limited, but lengthy, enjoyable conversation. They loved the technology of how easily my photos were immediately available for viewing, as we all watched them upload in just a minute of two. Another couple joined us, and then crowds continued to grow very quickly. I was chatting away as usual and apparently I turned my attention away from what was on my lap. Soon afterwards, the ferry arrived and we made our way into the line for boarding. We settled into our seats and I began typing away, as the ferry filled to capacity. Moments before we pulled out, I looked up to see the very nice lady from Argentina standing over me...in her outstretched hand, she had my Ipad camera connection kit. It must have slipped from my lap as I stood up and gathered together all of my belongings...I never knew it was missing. How lucky for me that this woman saw it on the ground, realized what it was, and remembered that we were on the same ferry returning to Salerno together. I would have been heartbroken had I not recovered that small little piece of plastic. She was truly my hero, and I kissed her while thanking her profusely. Lesson learned...the constant chatting I do with my mouth, should never take precedence over what is going on with my hands, because I may not always run across someone who will save my butt!


A large sail boat out in the Bay of Naples can be seen from our ferry


We pulled in to drop off/pick up passengers in Positano on our return trip to Salerno



Back on board the Century, we had a lovely note and bottle of wine from the Captain. We are really getting spoiled by this wonderful treatment.



Some Tapas to munch on while getting ready for the show.



Yummy seafood mixture...I should have found the Tapas Bar earlier in the week


Sweet little raspberry chocolate mouse pie...so good, but so bad!!!!

Our time Salerno has come to an end...it was a perfect day, in a wonderful place. Our cruise ports are each so different and unique in what they have to offer. We look forward to discovering more of the many faces of Italy, as we travel to Venice, Rome and Florence.

Up next...a relaxing day at sea.....Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment